Monday, November 1, 2010

Oh I do like to be be side the sea side.....



Brighton, well Hove Actually ! is my home town , I wake up every morning to a picture of the West Pier. I carry a seagull (wooden ) from home to home all over the world,as a tribute to Seagulls ( Brighton & Hove Albion Foot ball Club) and a reminder of my maternal Grandfather and my football crazed cousins! ( I love & miss you guys so much)
Although I live in Israel which feeds my spiritual needs , Brighton & Hove will always be part of my essence. Nothing will erase the years I spent there. The beach was my haunt, the sea my friend , the promenade my thinking ground as I trudged along it on many a wet and windy morning.

Originally a fishing village then a pleasure town for Prinny ( Prince Regent). Brighton continues to be the place for liberal minded free thinkers, artists, truth seekers...as well as a very popular place for day trippers. Thousands of English language students attend the multitude of language schools housed in the Regency buildings in Brighton & Hove every year.
The Brighton & Hove of the 1950's was a genteel place where "manners maketh man" was the practiced byline . It was only in the '60s when the Mods and Rockers came down on their bikes and scooters was the town catapulted into the swinging '60s. Its close proximity to London makes it a place for actors and media moguls to live.
My life is intrinsically linked to this seaside town.
Senior members of family lived and died there,My Mother and Aunts and their family's still along with my oldest most trusted childhood friend lives there. My father lived above the Metrepole hotel. My son was born a few hours before the Brighton Bombing in 1984. My cousin represented the area as a Member of Parliament.
This was my stomping ground. I was never going to leave, yet in my life I have left and returned countless times, as if connected by an invisible umbilical cord .
On January the 12th 2006, as I sped up the M23 in my brothers car towards Heathrow El Al check in, I knew in my heart that I had finally cut the cord and I was leaving the town as a resident for the very last time.

Brighton is where I learnt how to eat piping hot fish and chips out of newspaper while battling the rain.Brighton and Hove is where I first went legally to a pub on my 18th Birthday.
Middle Street SynagogueBrighton, is where I first went to synagogue,and where I came in touch with my love of all things Jewish and realized there was a higher being that guided our lives.
IMPORTANT LAND MARKS

The Royal Pavilion The onion domed 18th century seaside palace ,was my favorite childhood outing, and in latter times the gardens was a place to meet friends while our children played hide and seek behind the overgrown palms.
The Lanes
Once the heart of the old fishing town of Brighthelmstone,now teeming with antique shops to tempt the tourists and collectors alike . This is were until his death in 1983 you would find my father discussing the value of a broach or ring with his fellow dealers. It is also where I worked briefly in 1967 as an apprentice hairdresser in the now long defunked Honey Hair salon. In its day it was famous for it's pop art decor and black and white mini skirted uniforms . It was here on September 4th 1967, I first learnt the benefit of hair dye, and went home hiding my bleached blond hair under a tightly tied scarf !


At the back of the town is The Jewish Cemetery,Bear Road not on your average tourist spot, here along side the first Jewish chief constable of East Sussex rest my grand parents, father, uncles and other family members who are never very far from my mind. They are my link to the past where as Eitan is my link to the future.
If your going to Bear Road please place a stone on their graves for me. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment