Tuesday, January 22, 2013

That Special Birthday Gift

When I was  just 16, my mother remarried, I went from being an only child to having siblings, two brothers and a sister.

Maxine is seven months one day older than me and pint size, but she is my little big sister, and me at 5'8 is her big little sister! 

As teenager we really were close perhaps  closer than most real blood sisters, maybe because of the size difference , we couldn't fight about borrowing each others clothes!

We both  had always wanted to have a sister  someone to confide in, to giggle with, do the twist with, to wrap our hair in rollers, to stick sellotape on each others fringes to keep them straight, after all this was Britain of the  mid 1960's.  

Right through  our late  teenage years, though to our early 40's we were there for each other, we didn't live in each others pockets  but if we needed each other we were there. We were more than relations we were friends.

Life sometimes has funny twist and turns , we didn't argue we just drifted apart.
I would hear about  Maxine and her family though the grapevine and she about me.


Last year we rediscovered each other though Facebook, we spoke on line every day, sometimes 3-4 times a day , we caught up , we shared recipes ( she had all the good Pesach cake ones !!) pictures of our grand children, knitting advice, we were proud mothers and grandmothers in our early 60's  kevelling ! She still  gave me unsolicited advice , and as the younger sister I am  duty bound to listen ..

Recently Maxine said nothing has changed, we may have got older, but its like we are 16 years old again, sitting in the bed room in Furze Croft sharing our life secrets.

We may not be blood sisters, but she is the best sister I could have ever have,

On Friday I sent Maxine a what app message, she never replied,I knew she had had dental surgery and thought she was still under the weather. 

After Sabbath I got a message from her son  it started " This is a hard message to type. Yesterday my mum (Maxine ) had a massive heart attack at home .."
As I read the message  my heart was in my mouth I couldn't believe it.

Sunday morning I want to share a joke with Maxine, as I realized she wasn't able to respond tears rolled down my face.
As I write this Maxine is in the ICU in Brighton, UK, and I am in Israel,there are many reasons why I can't just hop on a plane , but my nephew and I have been messaging  continually

The doctors are not so hopeful, but I know that Maxine is a fighter,  she has fought all her life ,I am davening ( praying) my whole village is praying people all over the world are praying  to the biggest doctor on high, the one that can perform miracles .

 Maxine is very special. She has never aspired to put the world to rights, she has lived all her life in the same town, worked in the same job for nearly 20 years, been the most amazing loyal loving and supportive wife, mother, grandmother , sister and friend. Maxine has a beaming smile , a wicked laugh, a vibrant zest for life.
 Maxine  is always there for the people she loves. She is very sensible and down to earth, With Maxine what you see is what you get.


I am so happy that we had this past year again.....
Maxine, your family love you we  are rooting for you ,  come on sis, I have just found you again that has to count for something. ....   


No comments:

Post a Comment